Takoda Prep of AIOIC is an accredited alternative high school under contract with the Minneapolis Public School district (MPS Special District #1). Takoda Prep focuses on helping all students make advancements in reading, writing, and mathematics, while maintaining a strong connection to American Indian culture. The school features a unique, small class environment that allows students to receive more individualized instruction, as well as additional support from the learning community of which they will be a part of once enrolled. Students can also maintain a connection to their home school for extracurricular activities such as prom, athletics, and graduation ceremonies.
At Takoda Prep of AIOIC, Students Can:
- Work toward earning their high school diploma from Minneapolis Public Schools
- Earn additional credits beyond their daily schedules through extra coursework
- Juniors and Seniors can earn college credits through PSEO (Post Secondary Enrollment Options) by enrolling in either college courses or vocational/job training courses. These credits also serve towards High School Diploma credits.
- Attend class in the morning and work in the afternoon
- Students must be 14 to 21 years of age (9th – 12th grade only)
- Interview with staff and complete all required paperwork for enrollment
- Provide transcripts (these can be obtained via the MPS Student Placement Center)
- Special education students need to provide their IEP (Individual Education Plan) records twoweeks prior to enrollment. IEP’s can be obtained from the last school of attendance.
Improving Student Competencies
The majority of students at Takoda Prep of AIOIC have transferred in with either low academic scores, or have been significantly behind in credits. Our school’s goal is to quickly help all students advance to higher math and reading levels in preparation for graduation. From 2010 forward, 25% or more of Takoda Prep students improved their reading levels dramatically within one year – sometimes moving from 4th or 5th grade levels up to 11th or 12th grade levels. The school also offers challenging independent studies and advanced courses in English and Math. Takoda Prep has specialized in working with all types of students – irrespective of their academic histories. This school was made especially for those students who are ready to make a positive change in their life and begin anew by getting to work towards earning their High School Diploma.
Takoda Prep of AIOIC’s School Improvement Plan (SIP) and MPS Accountability Measures.
|TEST NAME||SUBJECT||GRADES||DATE RANGE|
|MAP||Reading, Math||9, 10||September 26-27|
|MAP||Reading, Math||9, 10||January 11-12,|
|Accuplacer||Reading, math, sentence structure||11, 12||January 18-19|
|ACT||Reading, math, science, language, writing||11||February 28|
|MCA||Biology, reading, math||10, 11, all students taking biology||March 15-16|
|ACT Makeup||Reading, math, science, language, writing||11||March 21|
|MAP||Reading, Math||9, 10||May 17-18|
Beyond High School:
Takoda Prep offers students the opportunity to connect with options after high school. The school partners with AchieveMPLS! to research colleges, education programs, and scholarships for students. Takoda Prep also participates in several college visits and welcomes speakers from a variety of colleges, training schools, professional organizations, military branches, etc. to expose students to a wide array of post-secondary options.